Monday, October 29, 2007

Puppet

The Jesus Puppet. Isn't there a Commandment against this? Something about making images...? Maybe I read that wrong...


Thanks to Yvonne for the link to that one.


Let's leave the whole icky-yukky-I-wanna-chucky christian merchandising thing alone for the moment. I believe this toy is sold in order to run puppet shows for kids and if that's the case, it's a great thing, a visual aid in education, awesome.

It's certainly nowhere near the same category as praise panties and camouflaged bibles!

But I can't help it - a picture will always become a metaphor to me ... and when I read the retailer's text "Hand enters through the bottom of the puppet", I instantly had the thought: "just like we'd like to do to God."

Don't we search for ways to control God, to make Him do what we want? Don't we rant and rave in the middle of the night expecting it to force God to back down or come to the party? Don't we look for scriptural loopholes or for a Bible verse that bends God's arm behind His back ["see God! You said it, now you have to do this for me!"]

As compassionate, as kind, as merciful, as gracious as God is - and if Jesus Himself is any indication of God's nature - he ain't no puppet!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hand enters through the bottom of the puppet", I instantly had the thought: "just like we'd like to do to God."

Pete, um, erm ...

That Christian Outdoorsman site logo does a nice combination of a sniper rifle sight and a cross. Hallelujah!

Pete Aldin said...

ok, not exactly like we'd do to God. I was kinda refering to the control thing rather than making an anatomical reference.

Didn't see the sniper scope. Gotta get me one!